9.29.2009

A well-spent day brings happy sleep.





Text from The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci:
From the roots of his hair to the bottom of his chin is 1/10 of a man's height; from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head is 1/8 of his height; from the top of the breast to the roots of the hair will be the 7th part of the whole man. From the nipples to the top of the head will be the 4th part of man. The greatest width of the shoulders contains in itself the 4th part of man. From the elbow to the tip of the hand will be the 5th part of a man; and from the elbow to the angle of the armpit will be the 8th part of man. The whole hand will be the 10th part of the man. The distance from the bottom of the chin to the nose and from the roots of the hair to the eyebrows is, in each case the same, and like the ear, a third of the face.

You know all of those "parts" da Vinci was referring to? Yes, well mine all hurt!! I'm exhausted. Every muscle from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet hurts. #1 sign of an entire day of dancing full out. I think we did the same kickline at least 10 times!!!! But putting in hard work to do things correctly & to the best of your ability early on creates good muscle memory, right? (especially when your rehearsing under tempo, it's way easier to get the all of the details perfectly)
Today before we ran Shine for the first time from top to bottom, our marvelous Assistant Director, Mark, served up a giant heap of inspiration on a sterling silver Tiffany's platter. I wish I had a photographic memory & could recall every single word he said & pull it out of my back pocket every time I was thinking I would rather be somewhere other than on a giant moving staircase in a glamorous sparkling costume & a red lip. Or dancing on a double decker bus in a sassy white trench coat. (Cause honestly, why would I?) Crazy as it sounds, it does happen. He said, "You are every little girl's dream." It's true. I see it at meet & greets with little girls telling me about the ballet class they take once a week. I see it from stage when there's a girl in the second row dressed in her mother's best imitation of one of our costumes, & then after the show when an entire dance studio is waiting at the stage door for autographs. We're the beautiful, glamorous, dancing fairy princesses of our 4 year old selves' dreams....This is the perfect occupation for a 25 year old girl who still loves make-believe & refuses to grow up.
Alright, my brain is having problems stringing complete thoughts together...am I still making sense? It must be bedtime. Sweet dreams.







4 comments:

  1. Oh, it is my dream to see you all this year!!! And I've been waiting to meet Keltie for yearrssss, and now I could meet both of you! Hopefully?
    Have fun with the rest of rehearsals!

    <3bria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could come see you and Keltie perform. Damn Atlantic Ocean is in the way though! But if I could go, I'd probably be like one of those little girls, only difference is I'm 15 and would be telling you about jazz class instead. :P

    Keep on being beautiful, glamorous, dancing fairy princesses for those of us who could never be a Rockette due to lack of height! :D

    Imy
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i was a little girl my mom signed me up for dance class. about a week into it my instructor and my mother decided that despite my love for pink leotards and tutus god had not designed me to be a dancer. i had/have two left feet and my balance on land is zero. since then i have been completely awed by the world of dance. it amazes me how talented you guys are. you have my undying love and support! today, my dreams lack the glitz and sparkle that i was enamored with as a child. i play division one college water polo. there are bruises and scratches and ripped suits. my muscles hurt like hell after every practice, no matter how far we are in to season, and there are days when i come home tell myself i'm crazy for doing it. BUT, i love it more than anything... i know you've only been blogging for a little while, but i love coming home from a hellish practice and reading your's and keltie's blogs. they make me smile and believe that hard work does pay off. thank you for that.

    best of luck with rockett's, if you guys are anywhere near asu, i'm going to try and see a show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) www.radiocitychristmas.com The schedule might be up finally!! If you are able to come, please let either Kelt or me know, please please please!! Depending on the schedule, we would both love to chat!!
    Trust me, every year I get a couple opportunities to watch the show during the season & I turn into a little kid every time...I applaud, cheer & cry more than anyone around me. That's part of the magic of Christmas. Regardless of how old you are, in order to fully enjoy the spirit of the holiday, you absolutely MUST let your inner child out to play!!! Even just thinking about all the things I love about Christmas right now gives me butterflies! I'm not kidding.
    Even if dance wasn't your thing...water polo? That's so incredibly cool...I was the worst at every sport I tried!! Everyone has their own special niche, dance is mine, water polo is yours, art is my sisters...there are things we all secretly dream about doing that maybe we weren't cut out for, but you have to remember that there are people out there who wish they could do what you're doing too!! I forget that sometimes.
    I'm sooooo sooo glad you guys enjoy reading my blog!! I've always secretly wanted to be a writer...ever since I was a little girl....(see?) So it's very encouraging to me that people enjoy what I do!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete